Sunday, December 13, 2009

So, you wanna be a Rockette?


Not sure if I have ever talked about this on here... but I thought I would today, just in case any of you have ever wanted to know what it REALLY takes to be a Radio City Rockette.

Well... the only requirements listed on the Radio City Music Hall webpage are... you must be between the height of 5'6'' and 5'10 1/2''. Then it says, you also must be proficient in tap, jazz and ballet.

Here is some background information:

Since 1932, when the Rockette's first started dancing, there have been more than 3,500 women who have danced in the Rockette line. Pretty amazing. What an honor it would be to be a part of that line.

Auditions are held in the spring of each year...usually around May. Hundreds and hundreds of women from all over the world try out to be Rockette's. The line goes all the way around Radio City and then down a few more blocks. The line is almost 10 blocks long!!


So back to the requirements... I recently read an article that talked about weight, and how the Rockette director, Linda Haberman feels about this issue. This article states:


"One thing I should discuss--maybe because no one else will--is weight. No one will say it publicly because it's not politically correct, but weight is still a big issue with the Rockettes and many other dance jobs. Producers tell me all the time that it's difficult to hire dancers who are overweight. If you have a weight problem, work on it now, but please, work on it sensibly. I've had dancers perform for me and then ask me what they should work on to become professionals. Knowing what the people who do the hiring want, I have to tell them that the best thing they can do for their careers is to lose weight. It's not what many people want to hear, but unfortunately it's the truth"


-You can find this article HERE.


So.. one cannot be so sure how much truth was in this article, or if Linda Haberman actually said this to the author of the article. I am not saying she did say this, because it doesn't say who said it. But, then again, I am not saying she didn't say this either.

But... I just wanted to write my thoughts on this issue. This issue of weight. The reason why I have been on this weight loss journey for 11 months now. Yep... that's right. Today is December 13, 2009. I have been on WW for 11 months today. One month to go before my year anniversary! YIKES!

Anyway- it makes me mad. It makes me angry. It makes me furious.


Mad that after losing 25lbs... it still is not enough. I would need to lose another 25lbs to actually be considered to be a Rockette. These Rockette's may not be the same height, but they sure do look the same in waist size. Of course people are going to say, well... how weird would it look if you had an overweight Rockette dancing in their lineup? Eyes would go straight to that person because they would look different.

Well... yes, that may be true. But couldn't that be the same reaction when one sees an African American woman in the lineup? It wasn't until the late 1980s that the Rockette's decided to allow African American dancers into their Christmas show.

Personally, I love it. Having an all white dance line is not setting a good model for what the United States stands for. The Rockette's are a huge part of the U.S. and I think they should represent us correctly. This would include all races... and ALL weights.

I think that if you are a good dancer, can do the eye high kicks, can keep up with the line, YOU should not be dismissed because of your weight. As long as you have the ability and talent, you should not be disregarded because of weight.

I have wide hips. It's a fact. I KNOW I WILL NEVER EVER BE A SIZE 2. Unless I start chiseling at my hip bone, it won't happen.

And if that is a reason for me not being chosen as a Rockette... well... there will be some problems. Radio City will be getting a lot of letters from me, which I am sure they may not care too much about. But sending a letter... having my voice heard... that is enough for me.

I would do just about anything to be a Radio City Rockette... to live out my dream. But I will tell you... I will not chisel my hip bones down. That is where the line is drawn.. haha.

My ability and strength and talent and desire and showmanship and passion and determination and drive SHOULD BE ENOUGH!

Right??


Til next time,

Karla

3 comments:

  1. I'll admit I love the Rockette's and their dancing and long svelte legs, but my legs are svelte too- and I'm no size 2!

    You're so right- and good for YOU for being smart enough to know that- geez, some girls just aren't. it's funny you wrote about this- when you showed that ornament in your last entry I was going to ask if you ever thought about being a ROCKETTE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some interesting stuff. I never thought I could go into a size 2, because of my "wide hips", but ... today I think it is possible. HOWEVER, I am way under the 5'6" minimum. 2 inches to be exact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weight thing does suck and unfortunately its a factor in so many parts of our lives when it shouldn't be. Your body looks really great in all your pictures that you post and your dancing videos, are you sure that your current weight wouldn't qualify you? Anyways, Rockette or not you are an amazing girl and a wonderful dancer. Remember that!!

    ReplyDelete