Friday, December 11, 2009

I saw my first shooting star tonight.

So one thing about me that may be different from others is that, I have never seen a shooting star in all my 21 years of life.

Well. Tonight, that changed.


I was on my way home from my friend's house around 9pm.. I slowed down to a stop light and for a split second, I could smell Mrs. Lathrop's perfume. It was surreal. I looked up at the sky, and a second later... I saw a shooting star. A star- something that Mrs. Lathrop was. Something that meant so much to her. Our annual recital is fittingly called, "The Stardust Revue". My dance class is named, the "Stardusters". Stars are a huge part of my dance school... a theme almost. So how special to see my first shooting star tonight.

My mom thought I was nuts when I told her. But, I know what I saw. It was just so weird that I smelled her perfume. Coincidental? Maybe.


But, I just know she must have been there. I feel her presence when I dance, when I perform, when I smile through the pain. I feel her there. Patting me on the back, smiling down on me... and giving me tough love when I am down.

Her loss is still so new, so fresh in my mind. I have my moments where I fall apart, especially on Thursdays, seeing her empty chair. It's not the same. She should be there. I feel like my dream of being a Rockette is evermore prominent now that she is gone. I need to make her proud... pay her back for all she has taught me.

A few weeks ago.. I wrote a letter to the Editor for my town's newspaper. I will submit it in June 2010, a week before our recitals. But today, I will share it with you.

Saying Goodbye:

For 16 years I have been dancing at Lathrop’s School of Dance. It’s a family thing. My Mom, and my Aunt both dance at the school too and have been dancing for 25 years now. We have always enjoyed it because for us, dancing means so much. Dancing is a way for us to release stress, challenge ourselves, and just have fun. It is always so exciting to dance for a crowd of people in June at our annual “Stardust Revue”, but most of all, we loved to dance for Mrs. Lathrop.


Several months ago, Newtown said “goodbye” to a legend; a woman who with help from her husband Mack, created a dance school that I became part of 16 years ago. Ginny Lathrop was one incredible woman, a star that shined so brightly in the eyes of everyone she knew. She had the biggest heart and the prettiest smile I have ever seen. She meant so much to so many, and to me, she meant everything.


She inspired me, and will continue to inspire me to dance and to be a better dancer. It was always so humbling to have her at each and every dance practice. She would correct you when you were wrong, and applaud you when you were right. She would sit on that same stool behind the curtain during each and every recital and watch. I would always try and dance on that side of the stage so that I could see her. She had a way of calming my nerves. Just seeing the huge smile on her face, and her foot tapping right along to the beat of the music was so special to me and was something that I looked forward to.


Everyone loved her. The dancers at her dance school were part of her family and she was part of ours. I for one loved her ambition, her determination. I loved that she thought every recital was better than the last. I loved the way she could make everyone laugh. I loved that she believed in me and once told me to never shy away from my dreams, even if they were as outrageous as wanting to try out for the Radio City Rockette’s.


I will miss her deeply, as will everyone at her dance school, but we must be grateful. We must be grateful that she used her gifts and her talents to open up a dance school that has changed the lives of all who dance there. We must be grateful that she taught us all the art of dance, and that nothing is impossible.


For that Mrs. Lathrop, I thank you. You introduced me to dance, my passion, and my outlet. You helped to bring my Mom, Aunt, and I closer together through dance. And now, just like you danced your way through life, I know you are up there dancing among the stars. I love you.


Until next time-


Karla =)

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing story. :-) I think a lot like you, it may or may not be a coincidence that you saw the star at the same time that you smelled her perfume. I personally think that no it wasn't a coincidence and she was letting you know that she is always there watching over you and smiling down. I love the letter that you are submitting to the newspaper. It is very heartwarming. She would be so proud of you :-)

    ReplyDelete