Oh…the holidays.
A time for love. A time that lends itself nicely to couples. Young lovers. A time I really have never faced alone in a long time.
I know, I know… I have discussed this before on here. This has nothing to do with weight loss, or dance either, I know.
But, it’s been on my mind. And this is a blog about my confessions. So, here are my confessions.
I don’t like this “being alone during the holidays” thing.
It’s like happy couples SURROUND me. They make me sick.
Call me bitter.
I just don’t like that couples need to be so lovey dovey in public. So attached to the hip in front of people. It’s like they are trying to rub it in to every single person out there.
What can singles do around this holiday time?
Lately, I have been wanting to head over to New Haven, CT where they have this “Fantasy of Lights” display. It’s kind of a kid thing… but I want to go. I’m a big kid inside anyway. But, NO. I have no one to go with. Unless of course I convince my roommates…which I will probably end up doing.
All the stuff I want to do this holiday season like..shopping.. sledding.. skating.. looking at lights… it’s all your typical “couple” stuff.
So the question then becomes, where is all the fun for the single people? I get answers like… “come out to the bar with me” or “you need to get ‘out’ more”. I’m sorry but… the bar thing is not my scene. Just walking into one and getting swarmed by the wrong kind of attention just ain’t my thing. So… what to do….
Well… lately I have realized just how important my family is…how important dance is…how important my dreams are. I am definitely focusing a lot more on me. I have learned so much about myself over these past few months. It’s unbelievable really. I have discovered things about myself that I never knew.
I feel more free being single. Free to be me. Free to do whatever I want whenever I want.
Much like Brandi (one of my favorite bloggers) said… “I appreciate things a lot more now that I've had to go it alone for awhile. I appreciate the people I meet because they meet as Brandi. Not Brandi & ____ or _____'s girlfriend Brandi etc etc. I appreciate cooking and decision making cause I don't have to include anyone else if I want to.”
Well Brandi… you hit the nail right on the head.
That is exactly what I love about being single.
SO… I have made a decision.
From here on out, I WILL NOT feel down about this. I WILL NOT sit and sulk about being single at Christmas time. I WILL NOT let this get me down.
Instead, I will appreciate how strong this is making me. I will appreciate the good that has come out of being single. How much I have learned… how much I have changed. I will appreciate my family more. I will appreciate those who ARE around me still.
I will appreciate my life just the way it is and I will let FATE take its course.
The end.
Til next time,
Karla =)

You know what?! I get bitter about "happy couples" at church. Why? Because I go alone. I often daydream about how wonderful it would be to be in church as a couple. *sigh* But.. it is what it is. And... I love going, and won't NOT go for someone else.
ReplyDeleteI find the holidays highlight whatever you're feeling at the time. If you're basking in the glow of being a couple, you LOOOVE the season. If you're feeling alone and lonely, not having a partner to do the holiday festivities with can be so hard. How about inviting your girlfriends over for a crafty day - making cards, ornaments, and other seasonal goodies?
ReplyDeleteBODA weight loss
I think that is a GREAT attitude.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to see that you have such a great attitude about it. Keep your head up, you will have plenty of holidays to be in a relationship :-)
ReplyDeleteI think that is the attitude to have...and sometimes a challenge
ReplyDeleteLinda