Friday, December 18, 2009

Life lessons

Dance was great last night. Saw some people who came back from college, which was so nice. We got to show them our dances. A few of the girls were recording the dances… so they are now apt to be put up on facebook. Hopefully I didn’t screw up!

Dance was also bittersweet last night. It was the last class for another couple of weeks. That is because next Thursday is Christmas Eve and the Thursday after that is New Years Eve. So I won’t be at dance class until next year!! =(


Every year, each “Starduster” (that is what we are called) is given a Christmas present that Mrs. Lathrop picks out. Each year, we open our present (usually a gorgeous piece of jewelry) and we get in line to hug/kiss/thank Mrs. Lathrop. This year was different.


After class, the head teacher announces that this was the last gift from Mrs. Lathrop. She had actually picked out this gift on the very day that she passed away. This just goes to show her integrity and willingness to always do for others before herself. Even on her deathbed, she was doing for others. What an incredible woman.


So she picked out a beautiful silver necklace. It looks like this..

I teared up a little bit. It’s bittersweet you know. But, she had so any Christmas’s (about 25 of them) without her husband, Mack. So now, she is enjoying her Christmas with him… and I can rest assured that she is happier. Without a doubt.


So, that is something to smile about =)



Here is something else to smile about....

Today, as I checked my email this morning... I saw an email from my Aunt. She always sends me those cheesy forwards that either make you smile or make you wonder why you bothered to waste 5 minutes of your life looking at it.

But today, I thought this one email was very inspiring. It was a power point of different pictures with 45 "life messages" on each picture. Here are the messages... I have bolded the TOP 10 that I live by.

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone...

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
**This is something that I have tried very hard to live by. I get into small arguments all the time with people. But sometimes... you are better off choosing your battles. Why fight over something so stupid if you can simply agree to disagree?

7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.

8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.

9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
* I have done this. I have had tragedy and failures in my life that very little people even know about. I have not chosen to make any of these things public yet, and not sure if I ever will... because I have come to terms with my past and have accepted it. It has made me stronger and I have moved on. My past does not and will not ever screw up my present OR future!

12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.

13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
* This is one of the biggest lessons I have learned throughout my life...especially within the past year. I would ALWAYS compare myself to others. That was ALL I ever did. No lie. But now, all of that is not necessary. I am happy with who I am. =)

14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it

15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.

16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
* I have lived by this all my life. You have to believe in this... because it is true! Everyone who has been through rough times and makes it out alive... is stronger! No doubt about it! =)

19.. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
* Very important. I am still learning this lesson. I am told constantly that I will never ever make it to the Rockette's. A ton of people do not believe in me. But, has that made me give up or lose hope yet? No... not yet =)

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
* This is mainly just because I HATE waiting!! When I have a gift certificate to a nice restaurant, or a new shirt to wear... I don't wait for that "special" time to wear it or use it.... I USE/WEAR IT RIGHT THEN!!! Who knows if there would be a "tomorrow"... enjoy life now!

22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.

23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
* Well... everyone who really knows me knows that I am eccentric...maybe even a little TOO eccentric. I own several shirts/dresses covered in sequins. AND... purple is my favorite color.

24. The most important sex organ is the brain.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
* I am trying to learn this also. Sometimes, I feel like some days are the worst day ever. But really... I need to tell myself... is this really THAT horrible? Is this really going to matter years down the road? I think this is SO important.

27. Always choose life.

28. Forgive everyone, everything.

29. What other people think of you is none of your business.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

33. Believe in miracles.

34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.

35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

37. Your children get only one childhood.

38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved..

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

42. The best is yet to come.

43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
* Everyone who knows me knows that I am always dressing up and trying to be in the spotlight, even if it means making a fool out of myself. Haha... I have always loved being all dressed up, being on stage, being the center of attention, and entertaining. That is what I do. Sometimes it annoys people... but that is just me. It's all I know. =)

44. Yield.

45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
* I mean... who could argue with that? Life is absolutely a gift. Every day is a gift.



**** So now I have a challenge for anyone who is willing to join.

I challenge you to pick AT LEAST 3 of your favorite messages/things you live by... and explain a little on each one, as I did. I'd love to hear what YOU all have to say!

Happy Friday!!

(weather man says 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow night!!)

One week til xmas!!


til next time-

Karlaaaa =)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a lot behind on reading posts...and posting myself. :)

    But here goes - some of my favorites:

    4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
    * I have worked 90 hours a week, so stressed out. At the end of the day I quit that job. They didn't care. My friends and family were there supporting me the whole time - giving me the hard advice saying the things that I didn't want to hear, handing me kleenex (I cried a lot) and offering lots of hugs. I left that job 5 years ago. I don't see anyone who was my "work friend" from there - I still see and talk to my real friends almost daily.

    9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
    * I am nowhere near retirement age, but I started putting away money in my 401k almost immediately. It's amazing how quickly it adds up (even with the crap economy...even though I lost A LOT last spring) I will be able to live happy in retirement...and maybe even retire early. And if you put it away - you don't miss it!

    17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
    * My motto for 2010 is Zen in 2010 and it's starting with decluttering my home. I've gotten rid of lots and lots. I don't want to spend my time cleaning around stuff that I don't like or love. I want to enjoy my time off.

    ReplyDelete