Saturday, December 5, 2009

A night of many thoughts..

Here begins the cheesiest post ever. But, something that is on my mind lately.


Tonight, as I walked into the small theater in my town to watch “A Christmas Carol” with my Mom, I took a look around. It was a very intimate setting. Only 50 seats in the whole place. 5 rows of seats with 10 seats in each. I pick a row, and walk in. I sat next to a curly haired young man in a black p-coat.


Come to find out, this man was an old dance partner of mine. He is about 28 years old now. We used to dance together. We tapped together at one point as a duet. I had a major crush on him.(Too bad he has a girlfriend now...darn!) We caught up a little bit on life and then he told me about a mutual friend of ours whose wedding he had just attended in Florida. The guy had moved to Florida to pursue a career as a Disney character in Orlando at Disney World. He is Prince Charming. And you know who he married? Snow White!! Go figure. They had a “fairytale” wedding, quite literally.


And so, this story made me think. Made me think of how life really isn’t a fairytale sometimes. Made me think of writing this post.


So here it goes….




I have always been the hopeless romantic type. The type of girl that is so easily wooed by a candle lit dinner in the dining room. A slow dance to Sinatra, in the living room. An evening by the fire with the one you love.


I am simple to please. I enjoy those simple pleasures in life. Especially around the holidays, it is so easy to be in love, so fun to be in love…so magical.


When I went to NYC to see the Christmas show… I saw lovers. I saw them everywhere. Couples running all around New York City… up and down the sidewalks…in and out of stores. Two young lovers on a carriage led by two horses. Ice skating under the beautiful Rockefeller Christmas Tree. A man nervously skating toward his girlfriend, getting down on one knee… proclaiming his love for her, and asking her to marry him. I witnessed this love, first hand… all day long that day.


Ah… Christmas in New York… ain’t nothin better.


And to be in love… during the holidays. How I miss it.


I miss shopping for that special someone. Waiting weeks to see their faces as they open up their gifts. Buying that special outfit to wear out to a Christmas dinner. Walking down the streets of the city checking out the Christmas lights. Finding warmth in each other’s arms. That is what I miss.


But this person… this person I am looking for to spend my life with… well…. They can’t be just anybody. They must fit one requirement. And no, it’s not attractiveness, it’s not how much money is in their wallet… no. It’s the one thing that means the most to me. The one thing I look for in a man. The only way to describe this requirement is in a quote…


“The only other thing better than doing what you want in your life, is having someone love you enough to let you do it”


There you have it.


That is what I want.


Someone who loves me enough to let me be me. Someone who loves me without makeup on, without being all dressed up. Someone who will let me pursue my dreams, or at least try. Someone who supports me. Someone who will let me have “me” time. Someone who will be my leading man… but let me take center stage once in awhile. Someone who will be happy for me, be proud of me.


That … is what I want.


Is this so much to ask for?


Because it feels like this man that I describe, is nowhere to be found.


Someday… I hope to find him.


Til next time,


Karla =/

5 comments:

  1. Oh Karla, he will come along! The Lord has one special person picked out for you, and I know that it will happen! Just don't "settle".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will find him, Karla! When you least expect it!

    PS. Your new haircut is absolutely gorgeous!! You are looking HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah deary...single at the holidays is really f'n tough. This is my first go around with it in a long while and I really must say I don't really like it.

    It makes you think about all the things you LOVE doing with someone else. Snuggling in the cold under a blanket. Christmas shopping together. Sharing your family traditions with them.

    It's hard. The world sometimes seems so full of couples that there's not a lot of room for singles.

    But I have also noticed that I appreciate things a lot more now that I've had to go it alone for awhile. I appreciate the people I meet because they meet as Brandi. Not Brandi & ____ or _____'s girlfriend Brandi etc etc.
    I appreciate cooking and decision making cause I don't have to include anyone else if I want to.

    And it really does give you time to really figure out what EXACTLY you want from a man in this life. What qualities you are willing to compromise on and what things you refuse to budge on etc.

    Enjoy this time. (i say that...but I don't like it either haha). Someday you'll be writing a post about how amazing this guy is cause you finally got to meet and love him. I'm excited to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I'm sorry dear. I am the hopeless romantic type as well. The right guy will definitely come along very soon just be patient. I guess I would just take advantage of the freedom the comes with being single. Do thigs that you want to do on your own schedule. You have the rest of your life to be settled down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a guy, I really don't know what men are like in terms of accepting women and letting them be who they are. However, I'm sure that being friends first is a good way of getting to know what men are like, and learning to trust them, deciding whether they are positive or negative in your life.

    ReplyDelete