I was inspired today. Inspired but a good friend of mine whose blog I have advertised on here before. He is an amazing writer and an incredible person. His post on his blog today was heartfelt and is something that all who will be celebrating Christmas on Friday should
read. It will make you think, like many of his post's do... they make you think. But, like I said... it also inspired me to write my post today.
- Many years ago... my family and I suffered a great loss of a family friend. He was a close friend of my family for many years and died when I was only 3 years old. I knew him... but I don't remember him. He passed away after suffering with AIDS for many years.
I remember, after his passing... Mom signed up to for a local organization that helps families who have HIV/AIDS. Each member of my family would be given a child's Christmas list. The list usually had around 6 things on it. My earliest memory of this is when Mom would get the lists in the mail, and we would all gather around to read them. The family that we got, matched our family usually. Meaning, my Mom would shop for the Mom of the family... my Dad would shop for the Dad of the family...and my brother and I would shop for the 2 children.
I remember always having so much fun going into Toy's R' Us and picking out the different things on the list. Beanie Babies, Barbies, and disposable cameras were the usual for a girl... while action figures, matchbox cars and footballs were typical items that a boy would want.
Mom let us pick out and wrap the gifts for the children. She involved us in it, and it taught me a huge lesson. The lesson of giving to others who are less fortunate than we. You just feel good about yourself.
I remember bringing the gifts to the drop off center. Sometimes, we were even able to meet the children that we sponsored.
Today... my family and I do not sponsor families anymore. The organization folded and we have yet to find a new one. Although... my family gives in other ways now through our church.
But even still... I think it's not so much important to give presents and objects.. as it is important just to give a helping hand. Shovel out someone's driveway, hold open a door at the mall, help someone who has dropped their bags, give a friendly smile.. all these things are things that are taken for granted. But, around the holidays... it annoys me when people slam doors in your face or turn the other cheek when they have noticed that you have dropped bags and packages all over the ground (that was me this past weekend haha)
People get so flustered and crazy during this stressful holiday time and I just feel, life would be that much happier and more pleasant if people would give back in simple ways.
So, today- I have held the door open for people, and smiled! Woohoo!
And now.. I am going to give you all a little Christmas present..
I'm going to share with you one of my FAVORITE christmas cookie recipes..
and... Eve.. I'm afraid they are not low calorie or good for you in any way shape or form. But it's Christmas, so who cares, right??! Lol!
Chocolate Crinkles:
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter
8 ounces (225 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (210 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Topping:
1 cup (110 grams) confectioners sugar
In a stainless steel bowl, over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until thick, pale, and fluffy. (When you slowly raise the beaters the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons.) At this point beat in the vanilla extract and then stir in the melted chocolate mixture.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to shape into balls (3-4 hours or overnight).
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
Place the confectioners sugar in a shallow bowl. With lightly greased hands, roll a small amount of chilled dough to form a 1 inch (2.54 cm) diameter ball. Place the ball of dough into the confectioners sugar and roll the ball in the sugar until it is completely coated and no chocolate shows through. Gently lift the sugar-covered ball, tapping off excess sugar, and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue forming cookies, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on baking sheets. (If you find the dough getting too soft for rolling into balls, return to the refrigerator and let chill until firm.)
Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or just until the edges are slightly firm but the centers are still soft. (For moist chewy cookies do not over bake. Over baking these cookies will cause them to be dry.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
These cookies are best eaten the day they are baked. Makes about 3 dozen cookies. 
Above is what they look like when they are done. SOOO GOOD!! I made them over the weekend. They are so much better the day you make them.. but trust me.. they are awesome any old time! And.. they are SOOOO EASY!
Have a very happy Christmas Eve Eve!!
til next time-
KARLA =) |
It's nice to do little things like that - holding doors for people, etc. But what annoys me is quite often people don't even say thank you, or just ignore you. That is so rude!
ReplyDeleteThose cookies look amazing!! I am going to try make them after Christmas. And take some to work and ration some to myself! lol
That would have been so cool if you had been here in Glasgow! We could have built a snowman! :-D You need to come down to Florida when I'm there!!