Saturday, November 28, 2009

Back From Maine

Time goes by too quickly. I hate it! I get to see my Grandparents maybe about 3 or 4 times a year if I am lucky. Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King weekend, Memorial Day weekend, and a week during the summer. That is all.

I hate being so far away from them. It really stinks.


It was a great few days though. Today, I put up their Christmas tree for them as I do every year. I blasted the Xmas music and danced and sang to it. It drove my brother nuts... but I didn't mind. He loves his big sister so much.... =)


Before we left to go back home, my Grandma pulled me aside. We went into her bedroom and sat on her bed. She said, "Karla... I just want you to know that I am proud of you. I think you are doing good things in your life. You have faced challenges recently that are not easy... and you have faced them head on with your head held high. You don't seem depressed or defeated" (she was speaking of my break-up with my BF of 6 years) She continued to say, "Do not let anyone ever stop you from doing what you want to do. I think you are making all the right decisions."

She told me she too once dated a man for 5 years. She said she had to make a difficult decision to break it off. She told me she felt like she was suffocating being with him and when they were over, she could breathe again... she was free. Even though my BF was never, ever controlling... I too feel that way. I feel free again. I am happy. I am glad that she is happy with my decision too. She found love again... she married my Grandfather and has been with him for 54 years.

She said, "Karla... you will find love again. But for now, learn to love yourself. You'll be glad that you did."

She told me how good I looked and that I look better and better each time she sees me. She told me never to let anyone tell me I can't do anything. She has been hoping that one day I would try out for the Rockette's. I have been dancing and kicking before I could walk and it would be her dream come true to see me on the big stage at Radio City. She would be so proud, so happy.

I told her how a lot of people laugh in my face when I tell them my crazy dream of being a Rockette. She said something then that made me think. "Thank God for crazy dreams... life would be pointless...boring... without them."

"Oh... and when you make the Rockette's... you can laugh in THEIR faces!"

Oh how I love my Grandma. =)




Here are pics of my brother and I. One of these 2 will be in the Christmas card. Not sure which. Any opinions??


We have Christmas early every year so that Grandma and Grandpa can see us open their gifts since we do not see them on Christmas. This year, they got me something I can hang up in my room. It says: "There is always a reason to dance" They know me too well!! =) My beautiful Grandmother is in the back in the white sweatshirt. =)

Here is a picture that I took over the summer of my Grandma when she wasn't looking. She hates getting her picture taken. So... I caught her when she didn't realize it. I thought this picture was so nice that I even entered it into a photography contest at a local fair. Didn't win or anything, but a whole lot of people got to see my beautiful Grandmother =)

Til next time,

Karla =)

3 comments:

  1. Aww your grandma sounds like such a sweet woman! She is absolutely right! You have made such progress and are becoming such an amazing woman. Don't let anyone laugh in your face about your dream to become a Rockette. I KNOW one day you will be one :-) And I can't wait to see the day! Oh and also I like picture #2 for the Christmas card :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla
    Good for you! It really feels as if you are on the right path for you!.Lovely post!

    Your Grandma is blessed with a granddaughter like you!....I believe I like the second photo best?
    Are you on facebook? If so, look me up and befrind me!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karla! Great pics, but the sharing of your Grandma touched me!

    ReplyDelete