First and foremost... Thank you. This blog has opened up a whole new support team for me and I love you all. Your comments meant the world to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart... I really needed to hear all the lovely things that were said. Thank you so much.
So...I have a thing about holidays. You know… holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day (if you call that a holiday), St. Patrick’s Day, Easter…
A lot of people just use those few days out of the year to “go crazy” and eat and drink all that their heart desires. Those few days are their excuse for going overboard. Trust me, I have been there before.
I always hated sitting around the huge table on Thanksgiving and watching my relatives just barely get through saying grace before they could inhale all the food on their plate plus second and third helpings. I would sit and pick at my food (I have always been something of a picky eater). I would watch everyone around me shovel food into their mouth as if someone were going to take their plates from right under them. It was like watching a herd of cows who hadn’t eaten in days.
I would sit there and play with my food, until I would be yelled at to eat it…and to eat it all. So, I would.
I always had to finish the food that was on my plate. And as I grew up, that is exactly what I would do. It was considered rude not to.
So, even when I was full… I would still eat every last crumb that was on the plate until it was gone.
After dinner, everyone would either go home or move into another room to lie down, unbutton their jeans for some breathing room and watch the Macy’s Parade re-run on TV.
This used to be me.
Not anymore.
There is no excuse for going crazy on these kinds of holidays. Thanksgiving, like Christmas and all the other holidays are just like any other day of the 365 we have in a year. I will only take what I know I can eat. When I am full, the fork will be put down. I will not let ONE DAY ruin the 10 MONTHS of hard work. No way, no how. And you shouldn’t either.
Thanksgiving should not be looked at as a time for eating until your stomach is ready to pop... but rather, a time to spend with family, a time for communication, and catching up with relatives, a time for quality conversation, and family bonding.

You are very right, there is no need to go crazy on these holidays it is just another day out of the year!
ReplyDelete