Dance was awesome tonight. I had the best time I've had in a long time.
My dance class meets in our town's "town hall". The town hall has a theater with a big stage and theater seats and all. The town hall also has a fairly large gymnasium where I have my dance class. But, since we are only 6 dance classes away from our 5 recitals, we have moved the class to on stage!
So, tonight we practiced on the big stage that we use for our recitals. Boy it felt good to be back on the stage. Dancing in the gym is one thing, but being on stage and looking out at all the red velvet chairs......that.... is something else.
I danced my best tonight and it paid off. After class, my dance teachers commented on how much I have improved and how good I looked up on stage. I politely thanked them....but deep in my mind, I am going........YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love dancing...and dancing has always always always cured any feelings of anger, sadness, or stress for me. I take all my emotions and release them through dancing.
But, there is nothing in this world that I love more than dancing in front of a crowd. Fortunately, I excel under pressure. I do much better when I am really nervous. Weird huh? Right before going on stage, my heart pounds out of my chest... but as soon as I am on it and the spotlight comes on and the people cheer....I am in my zone! And it is one of the best feelings on earth besides falling and being in love with someone! And for the 2 or 3 minutes worth of the song I'm dancing to, I am in heaven. And when the song ends, the sense of accomplishment is overwhelming and my self esteem flies through the roof.
When I went to college and stopped taking dance as often, I gained weight. Those feelings of accomplishment, freedom, ecstasy, and high self esteem.....well....they disappeared. I started to dread getting out on the stage. It affected my dancing and the instructors began putting me in the very back rows. Now......I feel TONS better about my body both inside and out! And I am once again getting those good feelings. And, well, I guess my instructors noticed tonight. I'm so glad! I'm now in the front row again several times throughout our 4 dances......and I feel DAMN good about it. =)
So there...that was my speech for tonight.
Hope everyone's day was just as good as mine!
Until next time,
-The dancer who just got her game back =)

YAY Karla!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you had such an amazing time!! You are working so very hard and its really paying off AND you LOVE doing it!!
ReplyDelete:) Keep going chica. You're doing great!
Thank you both!! =)
ReplyDeletejust thought i'd say hello!! found your blog on "vegan on stage." i love dancing, too. not professionally, just randomly haha parking lot dancing is my favorite kind :)
ReplyDeletekeep in touch!!