Monday, April 6, 2009

It's been awhile

I literally had no time to post anything this past weekend. It seemed like I was always busy. I had tons of homework to do...a lot of poems to write for my poetry class. I have missed 2 of my poetry classes, one because I was feeling very under the weather and another because I was having problems seeing things out of my left eye this past Wednesday. So, I had a lot of catch up work to do.

Anyway, this past weekend wasn't too much fun even though it was supposed to be. I spent Friday night with my BF and had a great time. If only that was how the rest of my weekend went....

I had quite a huge fight with my Dad that ended up involving the whole family, (Mom and Brother). My Dad is in a small band that gets together and plays at local concerts quite often. For years, my Mom has told me to come and support him, and so I do. For years I have camped out in a tent with my family for the weekend so that my Dad could be in his weekend music concerts. For years I've traveled miles and miles to watch him perform. I've sat in the pouring rain to watch his outdoor concerts. I've done it all.

Music is something that my Dad has always been passionate about. It's not my kind of music for sure...it's more of a twangy bluegrass kind of sound that I don't really like listening too. But, I grin and bare it because I am supporting my Dad.

For me, my passion has always been dance. Dance is something that I love to do and my recitals only come around once a year. Unlike my Dad's band concerts that come around one or twice each month. My Dad religiously attends the Sunday night dance recital in June with my brother at his side. But, he complains all week that he has to give up his usual Sunday night laying on the couch throwing back a beer to go and watch his wife and daughter dance in a stupid dance recital. Since we perform in 5 recitals, he also complains that my Mom isn't around enough to cook his dinner.

So I didn't go to his concert this past weekend. I wanted to make a point. I always go, and I never make fun of his passion the way he makes fun of mine. I know for a fact that he always has a few drinks before going to my recital too. My brother once told me that he had completely passed out in his chair mid-recital. I don't doubt it for a minute.

So I fought and fought and fought with my Dad and didn't back down. He still says that I am being unfair. That he is in a professional band and that dance is just some silly activity for me.

If only he knew just how serious I was about dance. Maybe if he took the time to really watch me dance, he would understand. Maybe if he took the time to really understand what dancing means to me, he would understand. But no, he would much rather WIN an arguement and scream real loud at me to prove "his point" that his band is much more important than some stupid dance recital. "IF YOU ONLY KNEW" he says.

Yeah... if "I" only knew.

So needless to say....YES....I ADMIT IT... for the first time since I have been on Weight Watchers, I didn't track my points and I ate bad food. I ate cupcakes, cookies, brownies...whatever I could. (My Mom had made refreshments for the concert and she brought home the leftovers). I was depressed and upset and I ate so much.

Surprisingly, I lost .5 pounds. I know for sure that I would have lost more if it hadn't been for all those sugary treats I ate.

This week is a new week. Clean slate. A new beginning.

-Karla

2 comments:

  1. There are going to be days where you don't track. And sometimes family can suck! I know! And at least you lost this week! The cloud has a silver lining :-D Have a great week!

    ~Eve

    ReplyDelete