Anyway, usually.. I get an idea for a recipe right before bed. Sometimes I get up and write it down. Here was one of them...
Shrimp Salad.
But instead of just shrimp salad, how about a shrimp salad sandwich! My Grandma in Maine would ALWAYS make shrimp salad wraps and lobster wraps when I came up with my family. I love both. I LOVE seafood! So I made a low-fat shrimp salad sandwich and I had REALLY high hopes for it. But a few things went wrong..
I cut up large shrimp into 4 small pieces. So I had about 2 cups of chopped shrimp by the end of it. I then added 4 tablespoons of fat free sour cream and 4 tablespoons of light mayo. Then I added a teaspoon of relish (my grandma's trick)... and I added 1 tablespoon of pepper because I love pepper and I thought it would add more flavor. You could add tomatoes or chopped onion, but I don't like either of those, so I don't. I refrigerated the shrimp salad for a few hours... then I added about 1/4 of the mixture to my wheat wrap. I rolled it all up and took the first bite and it was BAD.
Here is what made it bad... TOO MUCH SOUR CREAM! anddd... TOO MUCH PEPPER!
So, here is my new and BETTER recipe for shrimp salad wraps..
2 cups chopped shrimp
4 tablespoons light mayo
2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
1 teaspoon relish
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
(again, you can add tomatoes and onion)
Mix well, refrigerate, serve on an 8 inch wheat wrap...it will be lovely! =) And mine was only 3 points...yours might be more or less depending on what types of ingredients you use.
My next recipe was a low-fat chili dip, which I do not have a picture of. BUT... here is what I came up with. I LOVE CHILI! And I love dips that I can dip a big ol` chip into!! =)
I bought Hormel Fat Free Turkey Chili- no beans! And I also bought fat free cream cheese and fat free grated cheddar cheese. Here is what I did. I took an oven safe square pan, about 8 inches....... and I spread 8oz. of the cream cheese on the bottom. Then I evenly poured the turkey chili on top of the cream cheese... and then sprinkled the grated cheddar on top of the chili. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put the dip in there for about 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted. This makes a great low-fat party food!! It was pretty darn good!! Even the BF liked it! The whole entire pan of chili dip is 16 points and there is about 8 servings, so each serving is about 2 points, NOT BAD!!
My third recipe that I tried out tonight was a stuffed chicken breast. I stuffed it with spinach and mushrooms! Two of my favorite things! I hammered out the chicken breast until they were nice and thin. I placed a slice of thin cut ham on top of each flattened chicken breast...then I thawed my package of 8oz of frozen spinach and dried it out a bit. I combined the spinach with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and placed about 1/5 of the spinach/cheese mixture on top of each of the 5 breasts with the ham on it. Then I had been cooking sliced mushrooms, so I put the cooked mushrooms on top of the spinach mixture on each breast.
Then I rolled up each breast and stuck spaghetti into them to hold them all together. I used to use toothpicks until I almost killed myself when I started eating it...... I forgot the toothpick was in there!! So now I use spaghetti, and the spaghetti holds the chicken together real well and cooks right into the chicken so that I can just eat it and I don't even notice it!!
I tried pouring some white grape juice over the pieces of chicken before I put it into the oven for more flavor.....but next time I make this, I will definitely forget about doing that. The juice didn't do the chicken any justice. So, I baked these stuffed breasts on 350 for about 1/2 hour. They came out real nice!
I made fettuccine alfredo to go along with it. That was really simple. I just took 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, and 1/4 cup of whole milk plain yogurt... and I heated it up in a pot at about medium heat. I stirred occasionally and when my 8oz. of WHOLE WHEAT fettuccine was done boiling, I quickly added about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese to the creamy mixture and added the fettucine to it. IT WAS AWESOME!!! It was 6 points for about 1/4 of the fettuccine alfredo. Not bad. I even put some of the leftover alfredo sauce on top of my stuffed chicken....YUM!!!!! =)
Tomorrow night is going to be even better. Tomorrow night I am doing a Rachael Ray recipe that I plugged into WW and made it a lot more "healthy" and low in points. It is called Pumpkin and Sausage with Pasta. It is amazing and I can't wait to post about it tomorrow!!
Until then,
Karla =)

The chicken recipe sounds delicious - and what a great idea with the spaghetti! Ingenious :-)
ReplyDelete~Eve :-)
Just wanted to let you know I tried the shrimp recipe last night (with my own twist). Thanks for the idea- I am so sick of chicken!
ReplyDelete