Thursday, December 30, 2010

This love is ours...

Today, is an incredibly amazing day. Today marks the one year anniversary of Scott and I. This may be the end of our very first year together, but this is also the beginning of another year, and a very long journey that started with a simple statement that changed my whole life forever.

Not many people know how we started. I like keeping some things to myself, they are more sacred that way. But this story, I've decided to share with all of you. Probably nothing of importance or value to you, but it is a story that means so much to me.

A year ago tonight, I would be attending a New Years Eve party in which most of the time I was there, I wanted to literally put a gun to my head. I guess thats what will happen when you are the only sober one there, seeing as though I was in fact the designated driver of the night.

People were partying and having fun all around me while I just kind of stood in the background of it all and watched. By this time, Scott and I had been on a few dates, but we were not serious yet and I was respecting the fact that he was off doing his own thing and having fun with his friends.

Life was kind of boring until just before midnight, when more and more people huddled around the TV to watch the famous ball drop. That is when Scott came around and noticed that I was standing by myself. He asked me what was wrong and I mentioned how much I love New York City and that I wanted to one day be right in the center of all of the New Years Eve chaos in Times Square. I mentioned how I was kind of jealous of everyone there and how I would love to be there at that very moment.

Life changing statement: Scott then says, "Next year, we're going." Meanwhile I'm looking at him like... "whaat?". He looked at me dead in the eye and said, "Yeah, we're going..... but under one condition.." Then he looks at me and says, "You have to come with me as my girlfriend."

...the rest is history.


I was hooked from that moment on. I'm still hooked.




So.. it's finally "next year". Is he going to take me? Did he live up to his promise? Well... yes and no.

Technically I am not his "girlfriend" anymore since we got engaged in July. So, there goes that. And, well, we'd probably have to stay overnight in NYC and we are really trying to save money for our future together. So... things plans have changed. We will be going to NYC for New Years Day instead... which, I won't complain about!!


*Things I've learned*

- Love is a beautiful, wonderful thing.

- Love is easy.

- Relationships are hard.

- Sacrifices are sometimes necessary.

- You can't choose family.

- Be thankful for what you have.

- It takes courage to hate.

- Keep Smiling.

- Never give up.

- Trust.

- And maybe one of the biggest things that I have learned in the past year is that people are so quick to judge, become jealous, and hostile... and it's usually the people who have really nothing else to do with their lives. I've learned to just smile in the faces of people like this. It tends to make them angry that their hatred doesn't work on me.


So yes, I'm about to do this... I'm about to use a Taylor Swift song to make a statement!! You know you love it.

"So don't you worry your pretty little mind,
People throw rocks at things that shine
and life makes love look hard.
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours."

I love you Scott =) Happy Anniversary!

Keep Smiling,

Karla =)

3 comments:

  1. What a great post, Karla! I hope you and Scott have a wonderful New Year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Karla. I am so happy you found such an amazing young man to spend your life with. This post is so very true. I'm experiencing a lot of that myself.

    Have a blessed 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete