Thursday, April 15, 2010

Life is strange sometimes

So two weekends ago... I suffered from a painful urinary tract infection. It sucked. It hurt so bad, and my kidneys were sore. It was awful. I went to the doctor to get antibiotics to kill off the infection. I was on them for about a week (taking two each day for 7 days).

I finally got off the meds last Wednesday. I was feeling good. No more pain. =)

Well, I woke up Friday morning being itchy all over my legs. I took a shower, and thought I would feel much better. WRONG.

Frankly, the shower only made me feel worse. But, I went along with my day...noticing that I had tiny red bumps all over my legs that itched like crazy. This has happened in the past because I have very sensitive skin and I just assumed it was heat rash or something. WRONG.

I went to have lunch with Scott on that Friday. It wasn't until we were eating where I had noticed that the bumps were now all over my arms. It looked pretty nasty. But, I tried not to let it phase me, this time telling myself that maybe it was some form of sun poisoning, since I have gotten that in the past. WRONG.

After lunch with Scott, I went to the mall with my roommate. She and I went shopping for a while and then were planning on taking some pictures at a few local parks. When we got into her car, I could feel that my neck was burning. I looked at my neck and noticed it was covered in red bumps and was so red that it was almost purple. The bumps on my legs and arms had also gotten redder, and there were many more of them.

I called my Mom, frantically. I asked her if she had had anything like this before and she said that I should come home and see a doctor. My roommate also seemed concerned. So, she drove me all the way back to my hometown to see a doctor. By the time we got to the doctor, the rash had spread all over my stomach, waist, chest, and even my face and ears. My ears were so swollen, it was unreal.

The doctor didn't seem too concerned. So, I was relieved. I went home from the doctors with a reassurance that I would be A okay. I took benadryl that night, with hopes that I would sleep it off. WRONG.

I woke up the next morning looking like I had leprosy.

The bumps were all over the soles of my feet, up my legs, on my stomach, back, chest, neck, face, scalp, arms, palms of my hands, inside my ears, and even inside my mouth. I was covered from head to toe...literally.

My Mom rushed out to get a prescription of prednisone that the doctor had prescribed to me "just in case". I took 2 of them, in hopes of feeling better...

We then saw another doctor who immediately looked at me and said, "You are having an allergic reaction to sulfa. There was sulfa in the antibiotic that was given to you for your UTI. You need to stop that medication immediately if you're still on it"

WHOA.
OKAY.

So, I'm allergic to sulfa. Great. My body reacted pretty quickly. The doctors say that the rash will last for up to 4 weeks. Luckily, I have been on prednisone for a week and my skin has come back to normal fairly well.

The only thing is... prednisone makes you gain weight. Good thing I'm off of it now, because I've gained 5 pounds. Horray.

I have dance pictures in 2 weeks. This rash and the weight needs to be gone by then. Yeah.


So... that's the news on that.

I'm better though! Woohoo!! That is all that matters!


Keep Smiling,

Karla =)

5 comments:

  1. You have had a rough couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear you're doing much better. I hope your rash is gone by the time you get pictures done. I hope dance is going well, when is your recital?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Not a fun little story :(

    I hope that you are back to feeling good and looking what you feel is your best soon!!

    Take care friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah!!! doctors are so unreliable sometimes it freaks me out!!! Glad you're better though :D
    much love
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karla, what a terrible time! Fleur is right, I know cos I work for them......ha ha!! Glad you're feeling better though :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand why you didn't post the picture of your stomach that you sent to me...?
    Hahahah oh dear. I'm glad you're better.

    aroy

    ReplyDelete